Parent Category: Living in Crete - Brits in Crete
Cretan cuisine (Κρητική κουζίνα) - Dakos: Cretan Meze (Ντάκος: Κρητικό μεζέ)
A traditional meze or light meal on the island of Crete, dakos (also called "koukouvayia") is often called "Greek bruschetta," and is easy to make with few ingredients and no cooking.
- 1/2 of a large round barley rusk
- 1 large tomato, coarsely grated (discard skin)
- 3 heaped tbsp of feta cheese, crumbled
- extra virgin olive oil
- freshly ground pepper
- Greek oregano
- Run the rusk under a spray of water to moisten.
- Grate the tomato with a vegetable grater into a strainer over a bowl so most of the liquid drains off.
- Spread the grated tomato on the rusk and top with cheese.
- Sprinkle with pepper and a good amount of oregano, and drizzle with olive oil.
- One rusk serves 1 as a light meal, 2-4 as a meze.
Enjoy your meal (Καλή όρεξη)