Parent Category: Living in Crete - Brits in Crete
Cretan Cuisine (Κρητική κουζίνα) - Fish Pie (Πίτα Ψάρια)
A fish pie recipe is nutritious, easy and can be cheap to cook. Buy chunks of fresh seasonal fish whenever you can, frozen is fine, or even tins of tuna. As you can see in this recipe which contains fish, leeks, cheese and potatoes, a Fish Pie is an all-in-one supper dish. Serve the pie with peas or other fresh greens. It is delicious with a helping of Greek yoghurt.
For the filling:
- 200 g tuna/white fish
- 2 large leeks
- 400 g potatoes, cooked
- 10 g bacon
- 250 g feta cheese
- 2 eggs
- Salt & pepper
For the pastry:
- 1 cup olive oil
- 1 tsp salt
- 300 ml water
- 500 g flour
Make the pastry:
- Sift the flour and salt into a large bowl.
- Make a well in the bowl and pour in the olive oil, and stir to mix it with the flour.
- Make a well in the bowl and pour in about 200 ml of the cold water, mixing with your hands until you have a firm dough.
- Add extra water if needed. Cover with cling film and leave to rest for 20 minutes in the fridge.
- Split the pastry into two pieces, and with each piece:
- Turn out onto a lightly floured board, knead gently and form into a smooth rectangle.
- Roll the dough in one direction only, until 3 times the width, about 20 x 50cm.
- Keep edges straight and even. Don't overwork it; you should have a marbled effect.
- Fold the top third down to the centre, then the bottom third up and over that.
- Give the dough a quarter turn (to the left or right) and roll out again to three times the length.
- Fold as before, cover with cling film and chill for at least 20 minutes before rolling to use.
- Roll out pastry to fit baking tray that you are using, one piece for the bottom and one piece for the top.
- Note: If you prefer pastry just on the top, just halve the pastry quanties.
- Cut the fish into small cubes. Put in a large bowl.
- Wash the leeks and chop off any withered or old green leaves. Chop in two lengthwise and slice into medium-thin half-rings. Add to the bowl.
- Crumb the cheese and add to the bowl.
- Chop the bacon into small squares. Add to the bowl.
- In another bowl, beat the eggs with a fork, then add to the large bowl.
- Add salt and pepper to taste (remember there’s bacon in there) and mix thoroughly.
To put together:
- Lay the first pastry sheet on the baking pan.
- Spread the stuffing on top and cover with the second pastry sheet.
- Brush the top pastry sheet with oil or egg and bake the pie at 180 C, until its surface turns brown.
Enjoy your meal (Καλή όρεξη)