Parent Category: Living in Crete - Brits in Crete
Cretan Cuisine (Κρητική κουζίνα) - Afelia (Αφέλια)
Crete Version of the Famous Cyprus Dish
Afelia is a Cypriot dish, not unlike Stifado, there are many version's of this recipe. This is the Cretan one. It is a pork stew, with carrot's, onion's & potatoes flavoured with coriander and cinnamon. A perfect dish for a cold winter's night. This meal can also be cooked on a low heat in the slow cooker.
Cooking Time: 1 hour
- 500 grams pork, diced
- 500 grams potatoes, diced
- 4 large onions, sliced
- 4 medium carrots, sliced
- 2 glasses Red wine
- 1 glass olive oil
- 2 tbsp crushed coriander seeds
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Fry the pork in some of the olive oil, until the colour changes.
- Add the onions and fry, until onions are soft.
- Add the wine & rest of the olive oil.
- Add coriander seeds & cinnamon, bring to the boil.
- Add carrots & potatoes, and simmer until ready.
- Add salt and pepper.
- Serve with either rice, or big chunks of bread.
As you chose to cook the Cretan version, please enjoy your Afelia (Αφέλια) meal of Cypriot origin. The Greeks say: Καλή όρεξη with a glass of wine in the hand.