Parent Category: Living in Crete - Brits in Crete
Cretan Cuisine (Κρητική κουζίνα) - Shrimp with Feta & Tomatoes (Γαρίδες με φέτα και ντομάτα)
A delicious appetizer or meze made with shrimp, feta cheese, and tomatoes.
- 500 grams of shrimp
- 3-4 tablespoons of olive oil
- 1 clove of garlic, grated
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped or grated
- 500 grams of ripe tomatoes, grated
- 1/2 teaspoon of sweet paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon of sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon of freshly ground pepper
- 200 grams feta cheese, cut into small chunks
- 100 grams kefalotyri cheese, grated
- 1 tbsp chopped flat-leaf parsley
- If using fresh shrimp, remove the shell from the body only, leaving the head and tail intact. De-vein by running a sharp knife down the back of the shrimp to remove the vein.
- If using frozen shrimp, defrost completely, shell, and devein.
- In a skillet, sauté onion and garlic in the olive oil until onions are translucent. Add tomatoes, paprika, salt, and pepper and cook over low heat until the sauce thickens.
- Preheat oven to 180°C.
- Place uncooked shrimp in a saganaki pan or oven-safe dish, and pour the tomato sauce over the top.
- Tuck pieces of feta cheese into the sauce between the shrimp.
- Sprinkle the grated kefalotyri over the top and bake until the cheese forms a crust on top, about 15 miinutes.
- Garnish with chopped parsley and serve hot.
Enjoy your meal (Καλή όρεξη)