Parent Category: Living in Crete - Brits in Crete
Cretan Cuisine (Κρητική κουζίνα) - Okra and Potatoes in Tomato Sauce (Μπάμιες και πατάτες σε σάλτσα ντομάτας)
A vegetable dish served on the Cretan table, a mix of fresh okra and chunky potatoes with a rich tomato sauce, this recipe was given to us from Ειρήνη and Γεώργιος. This dish can be served on its own with bread, or as a side dish with meat.
- 500 g fresh young okra
- 500 g potatoes, peeled and diced
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 1 small cup olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 500 g ripe tomatoes, blanched and peeled
- juice of 1 lemon
- 2 tsp sugar
- large handful coriander
- large handful flat-leaf parsley
- sea salt and freshly-ground black pepper to season
- Remove the stems and clean the okra
- Juice 1 lemon and let Okra soak in them for about 30 minutes.
- Add the oil to a pan and fry the onion until softened then add the garlic.
- Add the okra and potatoes and cook for five minutes then chop the tomatoes and add to the okra and onion mixture, along with the seasonings, sugar and lemon juice.
- Cook, uncovered, for 25 minutes until the okra are tender then add the chopped herbs.
- Season with salt and pepper and cook for a further minute before serving.Okra and Potatoes in Tomato Sauce.
Enjoy your meal (Καλή όρεξη)