Parent Category: Living in Crete - Brits in Crete
Cretan Cuisine - Cheese Pie (τυρόπιτα)
Cheese Pie (τυρόπιτα) is a fairly easy Greek recipe that has been passed down in many families on Crete. Tiropita snacking is delightful to have at parties as a starter or side dish. This can be made in batches, then frozen for when you want to enjoy the lovely creamy taste of your cheese pies. They freeze well and make a taste bud busting appetizer course at dinner.
Prep Time: 20 mins
Cook Time: 1 hrs
- 10 sheets filo pastry
- 500 grams ricotta cheese
- 150g feta cheese
- 2 tablespoons melted butter
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 2 eggs
- 200ml milk
- Open the sheets of filo pastry and leave them out to dry and reach room temperature.
- Once they have dried, crumble the filo pastry into small pieces and put them in a mixing bowl.
- Add crumbled feta and grated ricotta and mix them with the filo.
- Beat the eggs thoroughly and add the cinnamon, milk and melted butter to the eggs.
- Add the egg mixture to the filo mixture and mix using your hands.
- Butter a shallow, medium size oven dish and put the mixture in it.
- Level it with your hands.
- Bake in a pre heated oven at 180 C for 40 minutes or until golden brown.
- Remove from the oven and cut into portions.
Enjoy your Tiropita/Cheese Pie snack (τυρόπιτα) (Καλή όρεξη)