Parent Category: Living in Crete - Brits in Crete
Cretan Cuisine (Κρητική κουζίνα) - Sticky Lemon Curd Cake (κολλώδης κέικ λεμόνι πηγμένο γάλα για τυρί)
Sticky Lemon Curd Cake, this is the perfect recipe for a moist lemon cake...great with a cuppa! ...
- Juice and grated rind of 1 Lemon made up to 150ml with water
- 2 tsp cornflour
- 1 egg yolk
- 60 g sugar
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1 egg + egg white from Lemon curd
- 60ml olive oil/ 100 g butter
- 100 g sugar
- 200 g plain flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- some milk/water
The Lemon Syrup:
- Juice and grated rind of 1 lemon
- 50 g sugar
- Put juice, grated rind and water in small pot and bring to boil.
- Boil for couple of minutes.
- Take of heat.
- Add the cornflour and egg yolk, beaten all the time.
- Put back on heat until thick.
- Set aside.
- Put eggs, oil, sugar into a large bowl, either beat with hand whisk or electric for a couple of minutes until well mixed.
- Add flour, salt and baking powder.
- Add the lemon curd to the mixture and beat until well mixed together.
- Mix until smooth, if it's a bit thick add milk/water at this stage, should be like a very thick batter.
- Line a bread tin with greese proof paper. Pour the mixture in and bake in the centre of the over for 40 mins at 150C.
- While the cake is baking make the syrup.
- Put lemon juice and grated rind into a small pot with the sugar.
- Bring to the boil and simmer until thick.
- When the cake is ready take out of the oven, and pour the syrup over it, while it's still hot and leave in the tin to cool.
- When cool remove from tin and enjoy.
Enjoy your meal of Sticky Lemon Curd Cake (Καλή όρεξη)