Parent Category: Living in Crete - Brits in Crete
Cretan Cuisine (Κρητική κουζίνα) - Bakaliaros Tiganitos (μπακαλιάρος tiganitos)
Bakaliaros Tiganitos is cod that has been preserved in salt. It’s sold in large pieces that need to be soaked for at least 12 hours prior to cooking so that the excess salt can be eliminated.
- 750 g salt cod
- 2 cups self-rising flour
- Approximately 2 cups water
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Canola, olive or vegetable oil for frying
- Rinse the fish under cold water and remove any scales or visible bones.
- Soak in cold water for at least 12 hours changing out the water a few times.
- Cut the fish into 2 inch pieces and set aside on a plate.
Make the batter:
- Add the flour to a large bowl. Using a whisk, slowly whisk in the water until a thick batter forms.
- You don’t want it to be runny, it should be thicker so that it can adhere to the fish without running off.
- Season the batter generously with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
Putting it together:
- In a large skillet or frying pan, heat the oil over medium high heat until a droplet of water sizzles and jumps when dropped in the pan. If you have an oil/candy thermometer, the temperature of the oil should be at least 350 degrees F. (175 C).
- Dip the fish in the batter and carefully place it in the hot oil. Fry the fish until golden brown on each side then remove and drain on paper towels.
- Place the fish on a baking rack over a sheet pan in a warm oven to keep it warm and crisp until ready to serve.
- Serve with the delicious garlic dip known as Skordalia and enjoy.
Enjoy your meal of Bakaliaros Tiganitos (Καλή όρεξη)