Parent Category: Living in Crete - Brits in Crete
Cretan Cuisine (Κρητική κουζίνα) - Village Chicken with Sage (Κοτόπουλο Village με Φασκόμηλο)
Village Chicken with Sage, has to be the simplest yet tastiest chicken dish ever. The key to its success however lies in the quality and freshness of the chicken. Look for organic, free-range chickens, like we have in Crete - it will really make a difference to the taste.
- 4 good sized chicken pieces
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 100 ml olive oil
- 120 ml white wine
- 120 ml water
- 2 sprigs of fresh sage (or 1 teaspoon dried)
- Juice of 1 lemon
- Salt, pepper
- Take off the skin and fat from the chicken if you wish to. Heat the oil in a large casserole pot until nice and hot. Brown the chicken on all sides and then remove.
- Turn down the heat and add the onions, cooking until soft and translucent.
- Add the chicken back to the pot with the onions and add the wine and water. Season well and simmer for about 1-1¼ hours or until the chicken is well-cooked.
- Add the lemon juice and sage sprig and cook for 5 minutes or so.
- Serve with Greek Lemon Potatoes.
Enjoy your meal of Village Chicken with Sage (Καλή όρεξη)