Parent Category: Living in Crete - Brits in Crete
Cretan Cuisine (Κρητική κουζίνα) - Salad Omelette (σαλάτα ομελέτα)
Salad Omelette who says eggs have to be boring? This is a hearty vegetarian meal that could be as at home for an evening meal as it is for breakfast. I originally found this recipe in BBC Good Food Magazine.
- 10 eggs
- 1/2 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large red onion, cut into wedges
- 3 tomatoes, chopped into large chunks
- 1/4 cup black olives (pitted are easier to eat)
- 3 1/2 ounces feta cheese, crumbled
- Heat the grill / broiler to high.
- Whisk the eggs in a large bowl with the chopped parsley, pepper and salt, if you want.
- Heat the oil in a large non-stick frying pan, then fry the onion wedges over a high heat for about 4 mins until they start to brown around the edges.
- Throw in the tomatoes and olives and cook for 1-2 mins until the tomatoes begin to soften.
- Turn the heat down to medium and pour in the eggs.
- Cook the eggs in the pan, stirring them as they begin to set, until half cooked, but still runny in places - about 2 minutes
- Scatter over the feta, then place the pan under the grill for 5-6 mins until omelette is puffed up and golden.
- Cut into wedges and serve straight from the pan.
Enjoy your meal of Salad Omelette (Καλή όρεξη)