Parent Category: Property
How to Lower Chlorine in a Pool in
This practical advice on Lowering Chlorine applies to any swimming pool that fits in the garden of your home living as an ex-pat in the Greek Islands such as Crete, on Mainland Greece or Cyprus. It's not hard, or time-consuming, to lower chlorine concentration in a pool. Follow these steps and you'll be done soon.
- Step 1: Do nothing. The chlorine will eventually drop to the desired level. High amounts of sunlight and a high bather load will speed up the process.
- Step 2: You can add chemicals to the water. Sodium Thiosulfate and Sodium Sulfite are the most common. Pool stores can order industrial Sodium Thiosulfate in a large bag. Commercial chorine neutralizer is the same thing except in a pretty small bottle and many times more expensive. Another possibility is peroxide. Pool stores carry peroxide in 5gal jugs for UV sanitation systems. Either way be careful not to add too much; if you do, it may be very hard to maintain a proper chlorine level for some time, the residual in the water will keep taking the chlorine down.
- Step 3: Replace some of the pool water with fresh water. This solution will also have the positive side-effect of lowering total dissolved solids and cyanuric acid.
- Tip 1: You can avoid this problem by adding small amounts of chlorine over time, or purchasing a chlorine feeder.
- Tip 2: However if you need to sanitize a pool quickly, superchorinating and then decreasing the chlorine level chemically may be the only possibility.
- You water bill will show the results of having to drain and re-fill.
- Chlorine neutralizers can be expensive.
This is a re-worked article tailor made for the BritsinCrete audience and living on one of the Greek Islands such as Crete or mainland Greece/Cyprus as an ex-pat. Original Article is to be found at wikiHow, a wiki how-to manual. Original Author credits are found at the original wikiHow article on How to Lower Chlorine in a Pool. All content on wikiHow can be shared under a Creative Commons license.
Further reading on swimming pools if you plan to rent out your property in Crete to be found on our "Getting a Greek Government approved EOT License" page.
Experiences of foreign residents of Building Swimming Pools in Greece and their comments as well as advice from Brits in Crete.