Parent Category: Property
How to Diagnose and Clear Cloudy Swimming
Pool Water in Greece/Cyprus
from wikiHow - The How to Manual That You Can Edit
A swimming pool requires a large investment of time and money from a pool owner, who is usually trying to create his/her own relaxing backyard paradise such is the case as in living as an ex-pat in the Greek Islands such as Crete, on Mainland Greece or Cyprus. Water problems that take away the pristine attractiveness from this lavish backyard getaway, such as cloudy water, can be very frustrating Cloudy or dull pool water is caused by improper chemical balance or fine debris suspended in the pool water. Use the following five easy and practical steps to quickly diagnose and resolve this problem.
- Step 1: Test the swimming pool water for Combined Chlorine, pH, Alkalinity and Calcium Hardness. The two areas that are most likely to cause cloudy pool water are the pH and the Calcium Hardness.
- Step 2: If the pool chemical levels are not within the following suggested ranges, adjust the chemicals and run the pool filter system for 12-24 hours before re-testing. Free Chlorine: 1-3 ppm, pH: 7.2 – 7.6, Alkalinity: 90 – 120 ppm and Calcium Hardness: 200 – 350 ppm.
- Step 3: If all the pool chemical levels test in range, the cloudy pool water is caused by fine debris suspended in the pool water. You should backwash or clean your pool filter following the manufacturer’s instructions, and run the pool filter system continuously for 24 to 48 hours.
- Step 4: If the water conditions have not significantly improved you should add a clarifier pool chemical to the pool water to help your pool filter remove the fine debris from the water. Continue filtering for 12 to 24 hours.
- Step 5: If the water conditions have not significantly improved you should add a second dose of clarifier, or a stronger clarifier chemical and continue to run your filtration system.
- Step 6: Sometimes a pool can be too cloudy for a clarifier. If this is the case you will have to move up to a floc. This will drop any suspended particles to the floor so you can vacuum it to waste.
- It is important that you continuously filter the pool water until the water is clear, and closely monitor your pool filter pressure. Backwash or clean the pool filter as needed, following the pool filter manufacturer’s instructions.
It is common for pool water to become cloudy immediately after adding products to adjust the pool pH or Alkalinity.
If your pool water became cloudy within 6-8 hours of adjusting the pH or Alkalinity, continue circulating your water and it should clear within 24 hours as the water adjusts to the CHANGES YOU'VE MADE
This is a re-worked article tailor made for the BritsinCrete audience and living on one of the Greek Islands such as Crete or mainland Greece/Cyprus as an ex-pat. Original Author credits are found at the original wikiHow article on How to Diagnose and Clear Cloudy Swimming Pool Water. All content on wikiHow can be shared under a Creative Commons license.
Further reading on swimming pools if you plan to rent out your property in Crete to be found on our "Getting a Greek Government approved EOT License" page.
Experiences of foreign residents of Building Swimming Pools in Greece and their comments as well as advice from Brits in Crete.