Parent Category: Living in Crete
Cretan Cuisine (Κρητική κουζίνα) - Souvlaki (σουβλάκι)
Souvlaki (soo-vlah-kee) is the term used to describe “little skewers” of meat that are marinated in a wonderful red wine marinade and then grilled.
Souvlakia are traditionally wrapped in pita bread and then topped with a variety of condiments - lettuce, tomato, onion, and of course, the famed tzatziki sauce. They are also quite delicious without the pita and trimmings.
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup red wine
- 2 tbsp. fresh lemon juice
- 1 tbsp. dried mint
- 1 tbsp. dried oregano
- 4 cloves of garlic, smashed and minced finely
- 1 bay leaf, crumbled into tiny pieces
- 500 grams pork shoulder, trimmed of fat and cut into 2 cm cubes
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Lemon (for serving)
- In a large non-reactive bowl, whisk the marinade ingredients together. Add the pork cubes, cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 2 to 3 hours.
- If using wooden skewers, soak these in a shallow pan filled with water while the meat marinates.
- Heat the grill to medium high. Thread the meat on to the skewers (about 6-7 pieces per skewer). Season the pork with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Grill over medium high heat for about 10 minutes, turning occasionally until they are cooked through. Squeeze some fresh lemon juice on the skewers before serving.
Enjoy your meal (Καλή όρεξη)