Parent Category: Living in Crete
Cretan Cuisine - Bean soup (φασολάδα)
This tomato bean soup, which is called Fasolada in Greek, is one of the most characteristic of dishes you will find in Greece and one that is perfect for the winter. Trying to pronounce it can be a little bit difficult.
The butter bean recipe is really simple but it takes a lot of preparation in order to succeed with the proper taste.
Prep Time: 30 mins
Cook Time: 1 hrs
- 500 grams of butter beans
- The leaves from 3-4 sticks of celery
- 1 carton of tomato juice
- 1 fresh tomato (not essential but increases the taste)
- 2-3 carrots sliced
- 1 onion chopped.
- 1 table spoon of olive oil
- Salt, pepper
- Important thing is that you need to leave the beans in a pot full of water for at least 6-7 hours allowing them to soak.
- Again you put the beans in the pot with fresh water and you add the carrots. In high heat bring it to a boil. (the amount of the water you are going to add will determine and the thickness of the soup) Now depending on how much you have left the beans to soak, you will need less time to boil them.
- When the beans are soft, you add the onions, the carton of the tomato juice and the fresh chopped tomato, celery, Olive oil, pepper and salt.
- Let them boil for 30 more minutes. Depending on how thick you want your soup you may decide when to remove them from the heat.
- Serve the food with greek salad and pickle, if you have.
Enjoy your Greek Fasolada Soup (Καλή όρεξη)