Parent Category: Living in Crete
Cretan Cuisine (Κρητική κουζίνα) - Greek Peas with Tomato and Dill (Ελληνική Αρακάς με ντομάτα και άνηθο)
Peas are normally considered a side dish, but in Greece it is common to eat a plate full of vegetables as a main. This traditional way of cooking peas is so satisfying yet healthy - not to mention easy - it will most certainly become a favourite. Serve with crusty bread and feta for the ultimate meal.
- 5 Spring Onions, chopped
- 2 - 3 tbsp Olive Oil
- 500 grams frozen Garden Peas
- 400 grams tin Chopped Tomatoes
- 1 small Potato, peeled and quartered
- 1 small bunch Fresh Dill, chopped
- 100 ml Water
- Salt and freshly ground Black Pepper to taste
- In a large saucepan, sauté the onions in olive oil over medium heat. Do not brown.
- Once onions are soft, add peas and stir to coat with oil. Increase heat to high and cook for five minutes. Add tomatoes, potato, dill, water, salt and pepper. Stir thoroughly to combine. Bring to the boil, then lower heat. Cook partially covered for approximately 30 minutes, until peas and potato are soft. Ensure that any remaining water has evaporated before serving.
- Serve a large plate of peas with crusty bread, and slices of feta if desired.
Enjoy your meal (Καλή όρεξη)