Parent Category: About Crete
Earthquake Insurance in Greece
for House, Flat and Home Contents
From Stavros Sideris Insurance Services
You have arrived at the page to apply for House, Earthquake and Home Contents insurance in Greece. Before you complete the form below for Earthquake Insurance in Greece, for the House, Flat or Home Contents quote, please note what is required:
- Houses that are built prior to 1960 cannot usually be insured against earthquake. Very rarely, in special circumstances, some insurers might accept to offer earthquake cover if a civil engineer provides a certificate that proves that the property has undergone significant renovation and meets the strict earthquake regulations that are in effect.
2. Theft cover is only given to properties that are used as permanent residences. There are insurers that can offer theft cover to holiday houses if the owners confirm that a person or a company takes care of the property while the owners are away.
3. Prefabricated and/or pre-constructed houses can be insured but a detailed description of the construction method and/or the materials used must be provided to the insurer. There are just a few insurers in Greece who provide cover for such properties. Earthquake cover is even harder to be given for such houses.
How much is Home Insurance a month in Greece?
A basic question to ask. Sometimes Home Insurance can be part of a car insurance policy in Greece, so to answer that question is rather like asking how long is a piece of string? Then there is holiday home insurance and to cover full time occupancy of a home. In general, Home insurance policies aim to protect the building and the belongings/contents of our houses against many perils (e.g. fire, flooding, smoke, theft, burglary, explosion, etc.) For an additional cost, home policies can cover damage due to an earthquake. But specific rules and conditions apply.
Greek Insurers need to know the following information necessary to calculate a Home Insurance quote. Please include it in your online quotation request it helps us help you:
- The square metres of your house
2. The price you paid to buy/build it
3. The year the property was built
4. The value of all the belongings in the houses - if not known or cannot be estimated, Stavros will use an approximation based on the property's square metres from a table
5. The type of the property - (e.g. detached, apartment, etc) - if it is an apartment, which floor it is on; if there are any adjacent properties, what type of properties these are (e.g. offices, houses, etc)
6. Materials used for the walls and roof - (e.g. bricks, concrete, tiles on concrete or tiles on wooden beams, etc)
7. Numbers of floors , and name the rooms on each level (eg GF/Kitchen, bathroom, living, 1/F Master Bedroom, small bedroom etc)
8. If the house is used as a permanent residence
9. To specifify if earthquake cover
Be Prepared! When you have chosen the house/earthquake/home contents quote that suits your needs and you are ready to proceed with insurance coverage - the insurer will require of you the following information:
Your Greek Tax Registration Number and Tax Office location (AFM) (or rental agreement if renting)
The House/flat address
A correspondence address in Greece
A contact address either in Greece or in your home country
A contact phone number in Greece and in your home country
Important Notes on Earthquake Insurance in Greece
- Greece is a seismogenic (earthquake-prone) country.
2. Individuals who buy home insurance in Greece usually include the earthquake cover where and when it is permitted (which is separate cover).
3. The insurance cover is usually given with an excess amount (money that is paid out of the insured's pocket in case of an earthquake claim).
4. The higher the excess, the lower the premium.
5. Therefore, ask for the earthquake excess amount before you decide which cover you will buy.
ONLINE CONTACT FORM -
TO REQUEST HOUSE, EARTHQUAKE, HOME CONTENTS INSURANCE QUOTATION
Please be specific and give the required details to help Stavros focus on getting you the correct information. All fields in the form are required.