Pit your wits and test your knowledge on Crete Flights and Flying in this second "True or False" Quiz from Brits in Crete web portal. (Answers correct as of October 2011)
1. True or False? The cost of car parking for a month at the official long term car park at Heraklion International's N.KAZANTZAKIS Airport, Crete is around 50 euros.
2. True of False? Heraklion International Airport is the only approved airport on Crete from which you can send pets (dogs, cats and ferrets) on direct flights to the UK?
3. True of False? There is now a £500 processing fee per animal from the UK end when shipping dogs, cats or ferrets by air to UK from Crete.
4. True or False? The checked baggage allowance for domestic flights in Greece is 15kgs.
5. True or False? At Heraklion International Airport its longer of the two runways it operates - Runway 12/30, is longer than Chania International Airport's single runway, Runway 11/29.
1. True. The cost of long term parking (operated privately) at Heraklion International Airport is on a sliding scale based on hourly, then daily rates which are applied until the 6th day. For the 7th day to the one month limit, the fee is 50 euros. For those in the know there is a "monthly card". You have to pay an extra fee to get the electronic card that lets you out. The card works out cheaper. You need to talk to the cashier at the car park concerned for details of the current deal.
2. False. The Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs (DEFRA) - the UK licensing agency, approves, not only Heraklion International Airport for shipping pets on direct flights to UK, but Chania International Airport as well. Details of which airlines are licensed to carry pets between Crete and designated airports in UK are found on the DEFRA Pet Travel Scheme of Brits in Crete.
3. True. Details of such fees can be found via e-mail sent to:
4. True. On scheduled domestic flights, checked baggage is limited to to 15kgs per adult passenger. The exception is baggage checked through to final international destination on scheduled connecting flights at Athens, Thessaloniki or Rhodes that connect within 6 hours and with a minimum 2 hour turn round time at those connecting airports. The proviso is that the onward connection is on a scheduled flight and the carrier leaving Crete has an agreement with the connecting airline. In such case the free checked amount is 20kgs for economy passengers and 30kgs for First/Business Class. There is another rule governing flights to North America based on two bags. Olympic Airlines has the most "interline" agreements for passengers departing and arriving Crete. Aegean Airlines as a "Star Alliance" member is limited mainly to Lufthansa connections, an an official partner of the German carrier.
5. False. Heraklion Airport's runway 09/27 is 2682 metres long x 45 meters wide (8800 ft x 148 ft) is shorter by 665 metres than Chania's runway 11/29 at 3347 metres in length x 45 meters wide (10982 ft x 148 feet). Chania could handle civilian intercontinental long haul flights with that runway length, but doesn't.
(Answers correct as of October 2013)